Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lettuce, Watermelon, and More Flowers Planted Indoors

Yesterday I started planting more flowers indoors in order to get them a head start for the garden season.  Getting them blooming as fast as possible is the first thing that I focus on when gardening.  It is also important for vegetables and fruits as well.  Below are pots that contain amaranthus, calendula, queen anne's lace, and statice seeds.














That is why I began with lettuce yesterday as well as watermelon.  Watermelons take quite a while to mature and need more time in order to get a much bigger and tastier fruit.  Starting them inside is the best way to give them extra time as well as a few other strategies that I will use when I plant them into the ground.  More on that at a later time.

Lettuce doesn't take that long to grow, but they need cooler weather and the best time to start them is now because one they are ready I will place them outside at around mid spring which is when their preferred temperatures arrive.  They don't like cold weather like spinach, but much cooler than summer temperatures are desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment