Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Today the Focus is on My Pumpkin Harvest

Yes that is right I ended up picking my pumpkins a little bit earlier than usual.  I love picking them in the month of October because this is when I tend to use them the most between the fall weather and Halloween.  Carving up pumpkins is one of the best things about growing these vegetables, but my favorite part of pumpkins are the seeds. 

I clean off the seeds and place them on a pan with some spices and vegetable oil and bake them in the oven.  They are very delicious and I am looking forward to cutting them for this reason.  Just two of the pumpkins that were picked today need to be cut very soon because they were starting to decay by being outside.  If I got any more rain I am sure the decay would have progressed very fast.  Thankfully no rain came recently.














Another vegetable that I would like to talk about today are my eggplants.  Three eggplants were harvested today and I have only a couple of eggplants left.  I still have quite a few plants, but in terms of fruit there are about three that are still growing.  The weather is definitely getting too cool for them so I am not looking to getting any more of them this season except for the three that are out there right now.














The bad news is that today I also picked the very last cucumber for this season.  I didn't think my cucumber plants would have ended this soon, but with the cooler weather and less sun time I guess it was their time.  I got plenty of cucumbers this season and with all the relish I made I think this will last through the Winter months until next year's harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment