Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Now it is Time to Start Digging Up Carrots

The last thing that I do in the garden is dig up my carrots.  I leave them in the soil until November because although they might not be growing the cold ground makes for perfect storage.  They are safe from frost so I don't have to worry about the plants dying from these types of temperatures.  Usually just before the ground freezes is a good time to start digging them up.

I actually like to pick them up just before Thanksgiving.  I find that since they are able to last this long why not pick them as close to the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as possible?  This way I can have extremely fresh carrots for Thursday that I and everybody can enjoy.  Check out some of the carrots below that I picked this evening.















These are not the best I have grown, but with a little bit more work and fertilizers I can make them much better for next year.

Broccoli is also a late plant that I can harvest all the way until the ground freezes.  The ground is starting to freeze and the cold night temperatures are beginning to slow down the production of broccoli for these plants.  They are most likely done for the year, but I still will go out there and check them out just in case there are some plants that are continuing to produce.  Take a look at some that I harvested this year.
















No comments:

Post a Comment