Wednesday, June 27, 2018

What to do with Broccoli in the Summer?

That is what I did this past week is pick a single broccoli head.  I wasn’t sure if broccoli was going to last this long since it is made for the cooler fall months.  Although I grow a hybrid which is made for warmer temperatures and I want to see how far I can push it before it starts to flower and no longer produces large pieces of broccoli. 

Broccoli Head

I picked another two pounds of peas this evening and this will make it only the second harvest of peas for the season.  Flowers are starting to dwindle and it looks like it might be the end for them this year, but with the right nutrients they can continue growing with even more flowers hopefully. 

Peas

Strawberries are definitely done for the season and all that is left is dealing with the runners that come from all the plants.  If you don’t control them they can go wild and start planting new plants in all directions.  I will take some of them and put one in between all the plants that I have right now.  This should increase the amount of strawberry plants from 30 to 50 or more.

Blueberries are not that far behind and it should be harvesting time in the month of July.  I usually start picking them at the end of June, but it looks like this year that is not going to happen.  They are beginning to turn, but they still have some time before they are blue enough for picking and eating.

I wouldn’t mind starting to pick my lettuce this week.  Some of the plants are not ready, but my king crimson red lettuce is about time for them to be picked.  I don’t like picking plants all at once and instead pick leaves here and there.  I find I can get more out of a plant if I leave them in the ground and only pick leaves when they continue producing them.

Red Lettuce

No comments:

Post a Comment