Sunday, July 21, 2019

Getting the first Set of Red Onions Harvested this Past Week

At the moment my red onions were ready to be harvested, but my yellow onions are still not quite ready to be picked.  I always wait for the stems to fall over when harvesting onions and my red onions have fallen were ready to be picked from the soil.  I had planted two extra totes of red onions this season and it seems to have been a good decision.  Once they dry out on the table outside I will then bring them inside and feast on them throughout the year.
 
Drying out red onions

Although I have harvested red onions the rest of the garden is still growing and not quite ready for a good harvesting.  I would say within a week or so I should be start picking vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes, and possibly peppers.  Right now I have been slowly picking zucchini which has been growing quite well and ripening fast.
 
zucchini

Many of my tomato plants are producing fruit and have not began to ripen just yet.  I am hoping that with all this hot sunny weather they should start turning red.  It will be interesting to see how many plants of cherry, Roma, and beefsteak I have.  I went through several plantings in the spring and kind of lost track of how much of each type I have.  At the moment I have at least two Romas, several beefsteak, and several cherry tomato plants.
 
Supersauce tomatoes

regular tomatoes growing on plants

cherry tomatoes perfect for salads

I will also start digging up my potatoes that I planted in the springtime.  The plants are started to wither and die and this is when you know it is time to get them out of the ground.  I plan on digging them up sometime this week at the latest.  I could do it tomorrow morning before the afternoon rain comes.  I will have to see how the week goes before digging them up.  They will definitely be up by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment