Tuesday, July 26, 2022

It is All Over for the Onions and The Start of Fall Planting

 Mid July is about when the onion stems start falling and turning brown and this is the time when you need to dig them up because they are not going to get any bigger.  The heat is usually what gets to your onions and leaving them in the ground too long is something you want to avoid.  I always like drying them completely before I store them indoors whether it be a garage or in a basement.  A cool dry place is where you should put them to prevent fungi from growing on them and going bad.  If you dry them properly they should last a long time and I have had onions that have past the new year into the month of March.

 

One bag of red onions planted and harvested.

medium sized yellow onions from this years harvest.

Potatoes are another plant that I will have to dig up, but at the moment they are nowhere close to harvesting.  I would say about mid August they might be ready because right now they are starting to flower which is a good sign that harvesting might be right around the corner.  I don't have that many plants this season because many of them didn't sprout for whatever reason.  I am hoping that the ones that survived will produce a very decent crop as long as the weather doesn't end their season prematurely.  

potato flowers starting to bloom on these plants.

Some of my eggplant plants are beginning to flower so that is something to look forward to in a month or two.  Peppers are also starting to produce more flowers and fruit.  My sweet peppers are the only ones that are looking good while my habaneras peppers are growing, but not thriving as much as my sweet peppers.  In fact I will probably start harvesting these peppers this week or next at the latest.

 

peppers growing on plants almost ready for harvesting.

eggplant flowers starting to bloom.

I have also started planting seeds for my fall crop into small pots and some in peat pots.  I have decided to grow radishes, peas, and testing another crop of red onions.  This would be a good time to start a crop of carrots in peat pots, but with very little room in the garden at the moment I will hold off on planting them right now or for the season.  If my potatoes are done early, then I might be able to plants some carrot seeds.  This all depends on various factors.  For now I am sticking with radishes and snow peas for the fall season.

sprouting fall seeds.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment