Thursday, March 6, 2014

Keeping You Up To Date with What I am Doing

I just want to fill you in on exactly what I have begun doing for the gardening season this year.  The only thing that I have started planting is spinach.  This is always the first plant that I start inside because giving them a head start before planting them in early spring is a great way to extend the harvest of their leaves.

I plant them in a cool place which is normally in the basement or other area that has temperatures around 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit.  These are the ideal temps that these plants will thrive in and enjoy.  Anything around 70 degrees will just not work at all and they could begin to bolt prematurely which will bring this part of the season to a bitter end.

I started this on February 20, 2014 and they have started to sprout this past week.  Although they do take a while to grow this is fine because I have given myself some room just in case they happen to not grow.  This is another reason why I start them early so that if these don't grow inside I can always make it up and plant some more directly sown in the garden.

So far this is all I have done, but this coming week I will begin planting herbs and flowers which I use to benefit the garden.  Stay tuned as I will update this blog accordingly when I have completed this task over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment