Monday, March 9, 2015

Time For Planting Alyssum and Dill Indoors

The sun is out longer and daylight savings has occurred it is time to start planting flowers indoors and getting them the head start that is needed.  My two favorite flowers will include alyssum and dill.  They are simple to grow and don't take that much maintenance to keep them thriving through the whole season.

The best part of growing them is that they are fast sprouting and should begin growing within a week.  This is pretty much the opposite of the spinach that I planted a week ago.  They take quite a while to begin sprouting and will probably not show signs of sprouting until another week or two. 

I place my flowers in the window instead of using fluorescent lights.  I find that I can maximize space by using large plastic containers and placing them on the window and saving electricity at the same time as well.  They do not require that much light and what they receive on the windowsill will be enough for the time being.














I will probably leave them their for about a month until the weather gets warmer and then begin placing them outside to get acclimated to the weather and temperatures.  For now they will stay on the windowsill unless I need room for my vegetables and fruits later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment