Saturday, March 16, 2019

What is New this Year for My Spring Crop?

This years spring crop is revolving mostly around lettuce.  I actually have seven different variety of lettuce seeds that I bought his year that I decided on growing.  I didn’t think I bought this many, but this should make my garden much more diverse with different types of lettuce and other seeds.

I am growing at least one from each type of lettuce which includes butterhead, looseleaf, iceberg, and of course romaine.  I have three different types of romaine which makes up the bulk of my lettuce seeds this season.  Two looseleafs and one of iceberg and butterhead make up the other half of my seeds.


Indoor Planting

It wouldn’t be a good spring crop if I didn’t add spinach to the list as well.  I normally start spinach much sooner, but I decided on planting these seeds at the same time as my other spring seeds that I have placed on the windowsill. 

This time I am using different types of containers for these seeds.  These particular plants have a deep tap root and need plenty of vertical room in order to grow correctly and prevent them from going to seed too soon.  I have planted them in smaller containers before and they would always go to seed very quickly which makes them useless for harvesting.


New Containers

This time I avoided small containers and used longer vertical ones that should provide enough room for the main root to grow without becoming pot bound.  I planted six seeds of my spinach and all the others I have only planted three since there are many seeds I am using for a spring crop.

The last of my spring crop include brussel sprouts, cabbage, celery, and broccoli.  My broccoli I will be picking through the entire season hopefully since it is a hybrid that can withstand the hot sunny days during the summer months.  As for the other three they are pretty much regular types of seeds and I am giving them a head start by planting them indoors first.

No comments:

Post a Comment