Sunday, August 20, 2017

Getting Plenty of Vegetables for Multiple Meals


The past couple of days has been good for harvesting and there was plenty of vegetables that I needed to harvest as soon as possible.  More and more tomatoes are getting ripe and turning to their respective color and my corn is coming to an end along with my regular cucumbers.  I would say that I have probably a half a dozen of corn left and only two plants of pickle cucumbers remaining.

The good news is that although it is halfway through the garden season I still have plenty of peppers, Roma tomatoes, steakhouse tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes left for more harvests.  Soon I will start using all the Roma tomatoes for making sauces and that will mark the beginning of the end of my Roma harvests.  They are almost ready for picking and I am sure by this week or next week I should be picking many of them.

Cherry TomatoesFor now I have been picking the vegetables that are ready and I will work on the others when it is their time for harvesting.  Let’s just look at a couple of harvests that I did this weekend such as corn, cherry tomatoes, and peppers.

I think this was the largest harvest for cherry tomatoes this season and I might be able to get an even larger harvest this week depending on how many are actually ripe.

Pickle Cucumbers
Peppers and cucumbers were also ready for some harvesting and I wanted to pick all the ones that were ready so that these plants can continue producing flowers and vegetables.  Most of my pepper plants are spitting out flowers as fast as possible and my cucumber vines are also producing flowers and I hope to pick many more of them.

Ten pickle cucumbers were ready for harvesting.  Some of them look a little pale, but once you peel them they will still taste like a regular pickle cucumber.  These five peppers are about average size of this year pepper harvest and there are actually some on the plants that are much bigger that I can’t wait to pick.
Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment