Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Harvesting of Spinach Leaves Has Begun

If you thought that I forget about my spinach plants, then you though wrong because I have been keeping an eye on them for the right time for harvesting.  I took a look at them recently and I saw that many of the outer leaves have stopped growing.  This is the first sign that I look for when it is time to cut them as soon as possible.

I love eating larger spinach leaves rather than cutting them when they are small.  I think they are more healthier when they are at their peak size and color.  This is just my own opinion, but this is exactly what I do when it comes to picking spinach leaves.














Now that I have picked my first spinach leaves I find that it is a good idea to weed around the plants and get the soil loosened.  This provides the plant with air that it had been restricted from due to the dirt becoming compacted.

I also wanted to give them some lime that I thought would be necessary to facilitate delicious foliage for the rest of the season.  I also decided on using some wood ash I had collected this year and give it to five of my plants.  This is used by most gardeners and I thought that it might be a good way to help them stay healthy and strong throughout the rest of the season.














Here is what the soil should look like if you have weeded them properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment