Saturday, June 3, 2017

Update on Peas, Radishes, Lettuce and Onions

I just wanted to shoot an update on my spring crop for now.  With the weather that we have been having it has benefited my spring crop the most.  My lettuce plants are flourishing, my peas are starting to produce pods, my onions have thick green stems, and my radishes are almost ready for harvesting.

The past two weeks have been exciting and with all the flowers that my peas are growing I am sure I will have plenty of pods before the spring season is over.  If we keep getting cool and wet weather the peas will give me enough pods to last several weeks or more.

Pea Flowers












Pea Pods

















The last time I checked my radishes the roots were quite small and I was covering them up with dirt in order to keep the bulbs out of the sun.  The sun can turn them color and make them quite bitter similar to what happens to carrots if exposed to sunlight.  Now they are about the size of golf balls from what I could see.  I won't know their actual size until I harvest them which should be coming real soon.

My lettuce plants have many leaves at the moment and I should start harvesting more of them from most of my plants.  They look quite ready and the weather has definitely been helping them with these leaves.  I have harvested from a couple of plants such as iceberg, butterhead, and loose leaf.  The only one I haven't harvested from would be my romaine lettuce or the Ruby glow hybrid.  I will be picking from them real soon once I think they have enough leaves to loose a few of them.

Lettuce Leaves












Ruby Glow Hybrid
Here is the romaine lettuce that I haven't picked any leaves from yet.  I probably could pick a few of the older and lower ones.  I might do that tomorrow depending on what I have going on.








So far my spring crop is doing quite well and also my onions are part of this season as well and they are getting thick and strong stems.  This usually means that I might be getting good sized onions this season as long as this weather holds out or I keep feeding them until they are ready to be picked.













No comments:

Post a Comment