Sunday, June 28, 2015

Harvesting the First Vegetables May be Just Around the Corner

So far the only thing that I have been harvesting is mainly leaf plants including spinach and lettuce.  Now that spinach is over and lettuce season coming to close it is almost time to start harvesting vegetables that are beginning to grow in the garden.  The first of the season would most likely be zucchini.

My zucchini plants are growing quite well and at least most of them or even all of them are producing vegetables at a very fast speed.  They started flowering about a week or so ago and are now producing very large zucchinis and it will not be long before I start harvesting them.














This is just one and there are many that are this size or even bigger.  I would say by this week I will be harvesting zucchini.  This will be the non leaf vegetable to be harvested this season.

My pumpkins are even growing good and the vines are just spreading out like crazy.  I acutally found a pumpkin that looks like it has been pollinated very recently.  I would say less than a week ago it flowered and was pollinated by the bees.  I never thought I would get a pumpkin this early, but I am not going to complain because the earlier they come the more time they have to grow that pumpkin.














This is the first pumpkin so far and there are more that have begun flowering, but I will not now if they were pollinated until another few days to a week at the most.  Once it starts getting bigger then that means it was pollinated and will start getting bigger each day.














Cucumbers are another vegetable starting to grow and flower.  I found the first fruit starting to flower yesterday that means cucumbers will be visible very soon.  There are only a couple of plants flowering, but I have only seen one fruit actually opening.














My tomato plants are growing flowers too and I am hoping that some of them will start ripening very soon.  The goal is to start picking them by mid July at the latest.  I don't think any of them will be ready by the fourth of July, but they are usually not ready by then normally.  Here is a large Roma tomato that may be the first tomato harvested this season.




No comments:

Post a Comment