Sunday, July 5, 2015

Time for More Harvesting and Beginning to Plant a Fall Crop

This year I decided to grow another fall crop and I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to be planting besides broccoli and cabbage.  I was hoping to get some kale seeds, but unfortunately I was unable to obtain them and now I am going to just be focusing on broccoli and cabbage.  Since I have one less plant to worry about I decided on planting exactly ten seeds of cabbage and ten of broccoli.

This does not mean that I only placed one seed into each of the ten containers, but I am using ten containers for each of my fall plants.  I probably placed about four or five seeds into each container making certain that at least one of those seeds will germinate in each cup.  I used a mixture of topsoil and some worm compost that I have been saving to use for this time of the season.  I love using this mixture because it produces vibrant and healthy plants that can last quite awhile in these containers.

They will be staying outside for the rest of the season instead of growing them inside.  It is better for them to be outside in order to adjust to the temperatures immediately and won't have to worry about hardening them off.  They also will get much more sun by being outside as well which is the main reason why I keep them out there.














I have also been harvesting today even though I was planting my fall crop.  For now zucchinis are the most popular in the garden and they are growing really fast.  I started feeding the plants today because a few of them needed to be replenished with nutrients that they require in order to continue producing vegetables that I can pick later on.  This also helps them produce flowers which are much more important in the long run.



























I have pumpkins growing on the vines as well which I am looking forward to picking which will not come at any time soon.

















Four is the count right now and I think there might be another one somewhere in there which I will have to look for tomorrow.

Cucumbers are also on the rise today and I saw the first one of the season fully pollinated.














It's not quite ready and probably another week or so it should be approaching the point where I can begin harvesting it.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment