Friday, June 17, 2016

Time to Thin Out Those Carrots Along with Harvesting Ruby Glow Lettuce

My garden I had finally given me some good Ruby glow lettuce leaves that I could pick this week.  Picking lettuce leaves is very easy and since I had picked my other iceberg lettuce not that long ago I though it would be very good to pick these leaves to make up from last season.  I am very happy with the 65 leaves I picked and I couldn't ask for anymore from just eight plants that were planted this year.

 Just a little before and after picture of just one of the plants that I harvested.  I did not pick that many leaves because I wanted to make sure that it didn't go to seed early.  If I pick too many leaves it might prematurely go to seed and that would mean only one harvest of these plants which is something I didn't want to happen.  I just stuck to picking the bottom leaves rather than any other leaves on the plant.













The next thing I had to do was make sure that my carrots were thinned out and all the weeds removed.  Removing the weeds from my carrots is one of the more difficult tasks in the garden mainly due to the nature of carrot plants and how small and fragile they are.  Nevertheless I did get it done and it took about an entire day to do it correctly.

Here are just a bunch of carrot sprouts that needed to get thinned out.  They grew throughout the entire row, but some places had more or less plants sprouting.  It all depended on how many seeds I placed and how many of them actually sprouted.

 You can see that there were a bunch of carrot sprouts, but only one in every three to four inches could stay.  All the others needed to be removed.
Here is one of those plants that was able to stay because it was stronger and was probably one of the first sprouts to appear.  Now that the thinning process is over I can now focus on caring for them rather than worrying about them being smothered by weeds or each other.  This is plenty of space for carrots to grow and thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment