Thursday, June 2, 2016

Weeded Onions and Most Seeds Have Begun Sprouting

I would say that I have been busy in the garden this past week.  This includes thinning out many of my plants, weeding all my onions both in totes and in the ground, and adding a thick layer of mulch to my onions. 

First I want to talk about the plants that have begun sprouting.  I had many transplants that I added to the garden, but they didn't fill up the rows that I gave them which happens every season.  With the extra room in the row I just fill them with seeds.  This is basically growing them directly in the ground which still works and is a great way to insure that you get at least one good plant at the least.

I only thinned out my corn, cucumbers, and melons for now.  The others will come later since I didn't think that they had finished sprouting entirely.  My corn and the others looked as if they were done with their sprouting phase.

I started with corn since it is one of the easiest to thin out.


















You can easily see the before and after of my corn, cucumbers, and melons from the above pictures.  I also wanted to mention some weeding that I did this week.  I normally wouldn't write about weeding that much, but my totes were filled with so many weeds that you couldn't see the onion stems.  Take a look at them below.

You should never let weeds get this out of control.  Any longer and my onion plants might show signs of ill health.  Before that happened I made certain to remove every weed from each tote.














 This is how onions in totes are supposed to look like.  With no weeds at all is how they are supposed to look all year long.














To make sure weeds don't ever come back for the rest of the year I added a thick layer of mulch that I collect this past weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment