Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Getting a Head Start on Melons and More Flowers

It is always a race to get as much seeds planted indoors as you can.  I utilize the sunlight as much as I can and use lights for plants that need it before they can be placed outside for full sunlight.  Right now I am working on getting all the flowers planted right away and then I can start working on other fruits and vegetables that are the main part of the garden.

Each row of containers going horizontally is a different seed.  The first row is calendula, then amaranthus, statice, cornflowers, and in the plastic cups are sunflowers.  They will need more space than any of the other flowers which is why they get large cups.







Queen Anne's Lace was planted as well, but I used peat pots for them.  I find that they can be a bit tricky and this year I want to try using small peat pots that should help in transplanting at least. 

Melons were on my mind today for some reason and when I looked back at when I planted them last year it is only a few days away.  I figured since I was working with peat pots I thought that it would be a good idea to start my watermelon today.  I am using Carolina cross and Georgia rattlesnake this year and see which one has the best success.

Three seeds of Carolina cross and two seeds per pot of Georgia rattlesnake.  I have more sprouting success with the latter than the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment