Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Corn and Cantaloupes are Finally Ready for Harvesting

This is just a quick post about some of the new food I was able to pick today.  I saw that many of my melons were starting to ripen and begin turning to a slight orange color and producing the webbing which covers the fruit as well.  Two of them came off fairly easily and that is usually a sign that they are pretty much ready. 

I will leave them out for a day or two in order to get them just a little softer which will be good for cutting and eating.  I probably will cut the first one in a day or two.  It shouldn't take that much time for them to get soft.  Take a look at my melons below.















Both of them were exactly three pounds and that is good for me and as long as they taste good I could care less how big they are.  Obviously the bigger they are the more goodness to come from them hopefully.

Corn was another new harvest for today that I thought I would tell you about.  I didn't pick a large bucket full of them like I have in the past, but I did pick the first one of the season which signals that many more are ready to come.

I did not weigh it or even take a picture when I picked it.  Instead I peeled off the husk and placed it in a pan of water and began cooking it.  It made a great addition to my lunch this afternoon.














I have tons of tomatoes that are almost ready outside, but today I only picked the ones that were just ripe.  I only got over 20 pounds!  This is probably the most Roma tomatoes that I have ever picked in just one season.  Granted I planted more Roma tomatoes than the others so that I could make more sauce with them. 

Let's take a look at all those tomatoes I picked up today.














 Not one, not two, but three containers filled with Roma tomatoes.















These were the larger harvests of today.  I even collected five more cucumbers which can be added to the already large amounts that I have picked previously.


No comments:

Post a Comment