Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Many Corn Plants are Beginning to Produce Silks and Tassels

Today was interesting because I saw my corn stalks and noticed that the hairy part of the corn or silks are being produced by some of the plants.  This is where the corn will reside until it is mature and ready for consumption.  Once it gets pollinated correctly then it will start growing and you will notice that it gets bigger each day.

I don't know if it has been pollinated until the ear begins to grow.  Most corn stalks are able to get as many as three per plant.  I am looking for quality rather than quantity when it comes to corn and any other type of gardening. 














This is the silk and if you have ever peeled corn before then you know exactly what this is.  What you don't know is that this is where the pollen needs to go in order to produce the corn that you and I consume. 

This is where the pollen comes from.  The tassels.














Like everything else in gardening time is what goes against these plants and with only a couple of months left I am confident that I will get plenty of delicious corn to enjoy for the rest of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment